Newbie Guide 002: Using the 3xOsc Plugin for basses

This is a discussion on Newbie Guide 002: Using the 3xOsc Plugin for basses within the Recording Studio forums, part of the The Studio category; The 3xOsc is a very useful plugin that comes with Fruity as standard. I use it quite a lot in ...

Newbie Guide 002: Using the 3xOsc Plugin for basses

The 3xOsc is a very useful plugin that comes with Fruity as standard.

I use it quite a lot in my productions.

Basically, you have control over 3 Oscillators, which changes the wave form,
    and you can set each one to produce a different sound.

These seperate oscillators combine to give your final sound.

The good thing about using this plugin, is you can set the note length. You cant do this with samples,
    as they will only play for as long as the sample is. Setting the note length is just like
    using a keyboard. E.g. if you make the note longer, it is the eqiuvelent of holding down
    a key.

To use the 3xOsc plugin, Right click on the top channel in the step sequencer window,
    and choose "Insert Channel" then choose the 3xOsc from the list.

Last edited by Tempo; 01-06-2004 at 10:19 AM.

Old Skool UKG bass

This is an example of a simple old skool style bass that can be created using the 3xOsc plugin.

Insert a new 3xOsc channel in your step sequencer window as shown above.

Once this is done, the plugin window will pop up. This is where you can change the oscillators to produce the type of sound you want.

For this example, here is how ive set the oscillators...

To program in your bass melody, you need to send the plugin to the Piano Roll.

To send to the piano roll, right click on you 3xosc channel in the step sequencer window,
    and choose piano roll. It should be at the top of the dropdown menu that appears.

You will now be presented with the piano roll window. from here you program in your melody.

For this example, here is a simple melody i have programmed in.

Which will sound like this... Melody Audio Sample

This is what it sounds like combined with the 4x4 beat shown in the first Fruity Loops guide i made... Bass with Beat
    Last edited by Tempo; 01-06-2004 at 10:16 AM.

Grime Bassline

This is an example of a simple Grimey bass created using the 3xOsc plugin.

Insert a new 3xOsc channel in your step sequencer window as shown above.

Once this is done, the plugin window will pop up. This is where you can change the oscillators to produce the type of sound you want.

For this example, here is how ive set the oscillators...

Ive also added a chorus effect. To add "Chorus" left click on the little wavey button located at the top left hand corner of the plugin window.
    The select "asign Free mixer track".

Next you will be presented with the mixer. On the strip that has the number "one" on it, click the arrow to the left,
    and choose "select" then "Chorus" from the list. Leave all Chorus settings at the default then close the mixer window.

To program in your bass melody, you need to send the plugin to the Piano Roll.

To send to the piano roll, right click on you 3xosc channel in the step sequencer window,
    and choose piano roll. It should be at the top of the dropdown menu that appears.

You will now be presented with the piano roll window. from here you program in your melody.

For this example, here is a simple melody i have programmed in.

Which will sound like this... Melody Audio Sample

This is what it sounds like combined with the grime beat shown in the first Fruity Loops guide i made... Bass with Beat
    Last edited by Tempo; 01-06-2004 at 10:22 AM.

UKMusic.com Bronze Member Sanova's Avatar
    good work, there are tons of other osc plugs that are quite useful. U can never have enough bass.

UKMusic.com Bronze Member

Old Links

I'm a music production newb and this post would be very useful to me esspecially as there is a general lack of Uk music tutorials available on the internet. Could be difficult i know, as the post is so old but is there any chance you could re-upload the images that have corrupt links now?

It would be very helpful as ive been playing with the synth for a while now and cant get a good Grime bass sound.

RePost pictures

Hi, this forum is a great idea. But I have trouble with FL Studio to create grime beats, when it comes to the bass. I've listened to people like Dizzee Rascal and JME, and I understand they use different samples etc. But I would really like to know how to make some of their style basses. So the pictures being posted up would really help me out. Sorry for long post. Thanks in advance.

UKMusic.com Silver Member
    plz re-up the pics..

Get me?

Quote Originally Posted by mc_jimboy View Post
    plz re-up the pics..
    yo yo yo... ^please????????????????????

Thread Information